Forts‎ > ‎

fort Aguada




Fort Aguada was built in 1612 by the portuguese to keep watch on enemies the Dutch and Marathas.it is a large fort with high and wide walls

This is the only fort of the portuguese which is well preserved and was not conquered during their entire rule.

Aguada means watery. this fort used to be the stop of all the ships and crew to refill their water supply. Thats how the fort got its name.

There is a large well around the fort which can store huge amount of water.

There is also a 13 metre high light house on the fort which was constructed in 1864.

Initially it used to emit light by oil lamp which was later was modernized.

Presently the part of the fort which is strong is used as prison in Goa. also Fort Aguada beach resort stands on the land of the fort.