Convent and Church of St. Francis of Assisi,Old Goa



The convent and church stands connecting the former Archbishop’s palace.

Initially a small chapel with three altars and a choir was built by eight Franciscan friars who came to Old Goa in 1517.

In 1521 a church consecrated to the Holy Ghost was built, which was pulled down later. On the same spot the present church was built in 1661.

The structure is made of laterite blocks and is lime plastered.

Inside the church there is a main altar, a nave with three chapels on either side, a choir and two altars in the transept.

The convent is now ASI’s museum.